Latest News: Samsung, BlackBerry Z10, and More
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Huawei Was Top Third Smartphone Vendor In Q4 After Samsung & Apple, Says IDC – Huawei’s 4.9% global smartphone share puts it in front of Sony and ZTE (behind Samsung and Apple). Huawei and ZTE both sell primarily in China, and other emerging markets, giving them a leg up on some of their competition. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- The Samsung juggernaut widens its lead over Apple – Samsung’s Q4 profits were 76% greater than their 2011 Q4 numbers, with $25B in mobile revenues. Samsung is delivering more smartphones than any other competitor (more than most two combined). They have hit both the mature and emerging markets, and are doing so with great success. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Open Garden And TextMe Team Up So Android Tablet Users Can Text, Call, & Video Chat Even When They Don’t Have A Signal – There are tons of times when I do not have signal, and would love to have one. Two capabilities have gotten together to provide mesh networks for wireless connectivity. Open Garden offers mesh networking for any other users of the service, a service which has over 400k total users now. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Sorry, Apple, the BlackBerry Z10 Is Hotter Than the iPhone – The latest BlackBerry Z10 looks amazing, the first time that can be said of any BlackBerry device, perhaps, ever. The device is a full pane glass device with sleek lines. Check it out at Gizmodo, more here.
- T-Mobile Joins Sprint, Verizon In Offering StarStar Me, Letting Users Replace Their Phone Number With Their Name - The Zoove StarStar Me capability allows you to change your number into your name. This capability has now seen already 100k calls and is used every 2 minutes in the US. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- iOS 6.1 released to all with Siri movie ticket support and iTunes Match improvements – Improvements include better LTE support, better iTunes Match, better iCloud and some more. Via The Verge, more here.
Apple ready to release additional iPad model; likely 128GB version - I do not understand the obsession with localized storage that some have with mobile devices, but Apple is getting ready to release a 128GB iPad 4. The iPad 4 was just recently released (and killed the only six month old iPad 3) and yet it is already getting a refresh. I’m not sure who has been clamoring for this device, but if they are, they are getting it. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
NVIDIA Looking To Build Tegra Reference Devices Itself To Flood The Market, Report Claims - Not only is NVIDIA dropping their Project Shield (a handheld gaming platform) but they are trying to use their Tegra 4 chip to create “white-label” or “reference” devices that will provide them with increased marketshare. The Tegra 3 chip has been the most popular silicon for Android tablets, but few Tegra 4 devices have been announced yet. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Apple has a porn problem, and it’s about to get worse – The new Twitter capability, Vine, has been causing a ruckus with the amount of NSFW (not safe for work) content. But the truth is that Vine doesn’t have a problem with porn, at least not one that isn’t shared by any other social media app. Apple has a problem: its App Store’s puritanical, unevenly-enforced policies for adult content. Vine is just today’s example. But the truth is that Vine doesn’t have a problem with porn, at least not one that isn’t shared by any other social media app. Apple has a problem: its App Store’s puritanical, unevenly-enforced policies for adult content. Vine is just today’s example. Via the Verge, more here.
- Why it’s time for a Google smart watch - Kevin Tofel of GigaOM dives into why Google needs to get into wearable computing. I can’t agree enough with this assessment. I, too, have the Motorola MOTOACTV, and like it a lot (though I prefer to keep notifications off of it). But for his analysis, check out the link. Via GigaOM, more here.
Other Posts by Ryan Kamauff
The moderated business community for business intelligence, predictive analytics, and data professionals.